The Real Life Community Scholarship
When tickets for the Real Life Conference went on sale, we added a 'donate' button - so attendees could support a scholarship. To date, over $600 has been donated! In that giving spirit, one of our community members (who wishes to remain anonymous) donated the value of a FULL ticket. Thanks to the collaborative spirit of this community, we are delighted to provide a scholarship that includes both a conference ticket and $600 to put towards accommodation.
How can you apply for the Real Life Community scholarship?
We're asking you to write a short essay (up to 1,000 words) outlining two parts:
- How do you use your voice or photography to support one or more of the 5 pillars of the Real Life community?
- How will attending the Real Life Conference help you further that work?
The 5 pillars of the Real Life community mission are bolded below:
- We hope to initiate and guide the dialogue on women and marginalized groups in photography.
- We value in person connections and provide a yearly conference, events and mentorships.
- We believe in inspiration and collaboration to serve the greater good through photography.
- We choose courage over comfort and respectfully challenging inner bias.
- We strive to grow and learn as artists, business people and humans.
Interested in submitting an application?
Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 10th, 2018. Please use the subject line "Real Life Community Scholarship". The Real Life Community team, as well as the anonymous scholarship donor will be reviewing the essays & selecting the recipient which will be announced Friday, August 17th, 2018.
- To be considered, submissions must be received no later than 11:59 pm MDT on Friday, August 10th, 2018.
- You will receive an email confirming your submission. If you don't receive this email within 48 hours of your submission, please contact us. No other communication will take place until August 17th.
- The recepient will receive a ticket to the Real Life Conference - this includes 2 lunches, snacks, and 2.5 days of content. The recipient will also receive $600 to be applied to accommodation at the Malcolm Hotel. All travel, meals, and additional expenses are the responsibility of the scholarship recipient.
- The recipient must be available and able to attend all 2.5 days of the Real Life Conference for Women & Nonbinary Photographerson November 6, 7 & 8 in Canmore, Alberta, Canada.
- We will be sharing the winners submission essay on our blog, this can be shared anonymously if the recipient prefers. Other applicants may also be contacted to share their essays on the blog, and can accept or decline the opportunity.
- In the event the scholarship recipient cannot attend, the Real Life team will select other recipient from the pool of applicants.